Yummy breakfast

Da (undefeated) Bears are on Monday Night Football tonight, so not much time to write. (I know this Blog is about Rochester, but I grew up in the Chicago area. While I truly love upstate New York, I still cheer for da Bears.)

Anyway, I thought I'd share a tasty tidbit I enjoyed recently. Panera Bread, which has popped up all over Rochester, serves what they call Baked Egg Souffles in the morning. I ordered the Spinach and Bacon Souffle. While I wouldn't really call it a souffle -- the filling more like a quiche -- it was delicious. The filling was flavorful and creamy and the crust was like a flaky croissant.

To be honest, I haven't been all that thrilled with Panera Bread's breads. I couldn't put my finger on the problem, but a friend summed it up. They overbake their breads. Everything is dry and tastes like it has been baked a little too long. One of my kids ordered a bubble bun, and we ended up throwing it away. Another day I split a pecan sticky bun with one of my kids, and it took 20 seconds in the microwave to get the texture I'd expect from a sticky bun.

So if you go to Panera Bread for breakfast, stick to the yummy Baked Egg Souffles. I'm curious to know whether anyone else shares our perception that Panera Bread overbakes their breads. If you have an opinion, leave a comment!

Panera Bread on Urbanspoon