Crunchy, chewy, chocolatey -- and easy too!

My grandma used to make a variety of wonderful Christmas cookies, but the one I'd reach for first was probably the easiest to make. It was Scotcheroos, a recipe that's about as ubiquitous as Rice Krispie Treats. My grandma used to make them every year, with a few changes from the original recipe, and now I make her version, with a change of my own.

D. spotted me making them last week.

"Those are my favorite," he said. "Why do only make them at Christmas?"

One reason is that I associate them with Christmas. But the real reason is that I have a hard time staying away from them, and my waistline doesn't need them around.

You'll find this recipe all over the Internet, but ours are a little bit different. Many recipes call for Rice Krispies, and for them to be made in a 13 by 9 pan. Grandma made hers with Special K, and made them in a 15 by 10 jelly roll pan. My change: I double the amount of chocolate. What can I say, I only make them once a year.

Special Scotcheroos


6 cups Special K cereal (you can also use Rice Krispies or a mixture of the 2)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup light corn syrup (spray the measuring cup with cooking spray to easily get it out of the cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup peanut butter
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips

Spray a 15 by 10-inch jelly roll pan with cooking spray.

Measure Special K into a large bowl. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar and corn syrup, and bring to a rolling boil. Remove from heat, and stir in the vanilla and peanut butter. Pour the mixture over the Special K and mix well. Press the mixture into the prepared pan. (I spray wax paper with cooking spray, and press with the wax paper.)

In a glass bowl in the microwave, melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips, stopping and stirring every 30 seconds, until smooth and well blended. Spread over the top of the bars. Chill until set, then cut into bars.

I'm sending this to the Christmas cookie post on Food Blogga -- just in case someone is looking for an easy last-minute cookie recipe. For 100+ more recipes, just check out that post!