Grandma's Oatmeal Raspberry Bars

I just returned from a bittersweet trip to Florida. It was a welcome break from our winter weather and we had lots of fun. Unfortunately, while we were there my 94-year-old Grandma, who was also visiting, took a turn for the worse and wound up in the hospital. I'm worried about her ... so in her honor, I thought I'd post a favorite recipe of hers. It's a yummy oatmeal bar that takes about five minutes to throw together.

Speaking of oats, the good people from Quaker Oats offered me an interview with Stephanie Izard, winner of Top Chef season 4! I should be interviewing her tomorrow ... if you have anything you'd like me to ask her, please leave me a comment.

Oatmeal Raspberry Bars

1 1/2 cups oats (I prefer Quick Oats)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup melted butter or margarine (you can reduce this by a Tablespoon or two)
1 12-oz jar raspberry jam or preserves (peach also can be used)

Mix together all dry ingredients. Mix in the melted butter. Press half of the oatmeal mixture into a greased 9 x 13” pan. Spread the jam on top (I stir the jam to make it more spreadable). Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture on top. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes.