Mom's Layered Mexican Casserole



With the varied palates in our household, I've given up on the notion of making everyone happy at every meal. When we entertain other families, though, I like the meal to please our guests as well as my family, so that everyone can have an enjoyable evening. One of my tricks to accomplish this is to serve a relatively basic dish that is served with several condiments. That way, everyone can make it to their liking. This recipe, which I got from my Mom, fits the bill. It's the familiar ingredients you'd find in Americanized tacos, but layered in a lasagna-style casserole and served with various condiments.

The last time I served it, everyone -- parents and kids alike -- cleaned their plate. (Which, by the way, is the reason for the lousy quality of this picture -- I only had time to get off a shot or two, and didn't bother gussying up the plate.) I made the casserole, popped it in the oven as my guests arrived, and I was able to enjoy my guests instead of fussing in the kitchen. It was a fun evening for everyone -- even the cook! Mission accomplished.

Mom's Layered Mexican Casserole


2 pounds ground beef (or 1 pound ground turkey and one pound ground beef)
1 1/2 16-ounce jars medium-hot taco sauce (or to your taste)
16 ounces sour cream
8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, sliced or shredded
8 ounces Mozzarella cheese, sliced or shredded
1 package flour tortillas, cut into eight triangles
Condiments: I usually use salsa, chopped tomatoes, guacamole, crushed tortilla chips and green onions, but you could use other Mexican-type ingredients like cilantro, pico de gallo, jalapenos, black olives, jicama, etc.

Brown meat and drain. Add taco sauce and simmer 10 minutes.

In a 13" by 9" pan, layer half of the tortillas, half of the meat mixture, half of the sour cream and half of the cheese. Repeat.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Serve with condiments.

Casserole can be made ahead and reheated. It also freezes well.