I'm in Dallas ... but my luggage isn't.

I made it to Dallas (after a 3-hour delay) to compete in tomorrow's Pillsbury Bake-off contest. Unfortunately, my luggage didn't arrive with me. So I'm due to go to tonight's semiformal welcome dinner in jeans, a casual "Chicago" shirt, and pointy black cowboy-type shoes. And no makeup. If I had had a connecting flight, I would have packed a change of clothing in my carry-on bag, but it never occurred to me that they could lose my luggage on a direct flight.

Something I learned today: when they announce on an airplane that they are "making some adjustments" because the plane is too heavy, they are taking luggage off of the airplane. And it could be yours, even if you checked in 1 1/2 hours early. Oh, and hold on to your boarding pass and those little tickets they give you when you check luggage. You may need them.

Anyway, I've connected with a bunch of contesting buddies, and met some new ones (that's me with a few of each.) People who have never met me before have offered me shoes and clothing! Isn't that nice? I haven't taken them up on it -- yet.

I've taken some photos I wanted to upload but the camera is running low on batteries and the recharger is -- where else? -- in Tom's suitcase.

Anyway, it all will work out somehow. It's all good. I'm not frantic, just tired.

I thought I'd share a couple of newsy notes from today's orientation:
- The winner will appear on the Today Show on Thursday.
- There is no live broadcast of the awards planned, so if you want to see who wins, go to the Bakeoff Web site after 9 a.m. (Central time)

I have a bunch of stories to share but I am going to rest a bit before that semiformal dinner.