For those who dream of SWEET!

I bring baked goods to band practice from time to time. Once I wondered out loud if the guys keep me in the band because of my treats (as opposed to my musical talent).

"Well, it doesn't hurt," our keyboard player replied. (He was joking ... I think.)

This is one of the treats I brought to practice. To be honest, they weren't everyone's favorite -- they were extremely sweet. If I ever made them again, I might double the buttery crust to offset the sweetness of the topping.

Dream Bars

Base:
1 stick (4 oz) butter, softened
1/2 cup (4 oz) dark brown sugar
1 cup (4 1/2 oz) unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Topping:
2 cups (16 oz) dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup (3 1/2 oz) shredded coconut -- I used sweetened
1 cup (4 oz) diced nuts -- I used pecans

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Stir in the flour and the salt; the mixture will be crumbly. Pat the crumbs into a lightly greased 9 x 13-inch pan. Bake for 10 minutes (prepare the topping while it’s baking).

When the base is done baking, turn the oven up to 325.

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, and baking powder. Stir in the eggs, mixing until smooth, then add the coconut and the nuts, mixing until well combined. Drop the topping onto the crust in dollops. Wet your fingers and spread it out as evenly as possible.

Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar.