Monday, December 15, 2008

A Quick Holiday Gift from the Microwave

If you're looking for quick Christmas gift from the kitchen -- or a treat to serve at a party -- here's a recipe that takes just about 10 minutes and is cooked entirely in the microwave.

One nice thing about giving these glazed pecans is that the recipient can eat them as a snack or use them to garnish a salad.

I got this recipe from my cousin, Kristen, who lives in Crystal Lake Illinois, with her great husband and beautiful kids. Thanks Kristen!

Glazed Pecans a la Microwave

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 - 3 cups pecans
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

In a 2-quart microwave safe dish, melt butter on full power in the microwave, about one minute. Stir in sugar and corn syrup. Microwave on full power 3 1/2 minutes, stirring after each 1 1/2 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir in vanilla.

Place nuts in an oblong microwaveable dish. Pour syrup over nuts, stirring to coat well. Microwave on full power 6-7 minutes, stirring after each minute. Nuts should be shiny and appear roasted.

Separate the nuts and spread out on aluminum foil to cool.

Cool and store in a jar.

8 comments:

Mary said...

This looks incredibly good and sounds incredibly easy.

Allie said...

Now you're talking! This is my kind of holiday recipe that's quick and easy only thing is my husband would kill me if I added another item to my baskets!

Deborah said...

Ooooh, I need something easy this year - this just may be it!!

dlyn said...

These look great - and I have some pecans to use up!

Darlene said...

Just made these. Sorry, but they're rubbery tasting. The corn syrup gives it a real fake taste. On top of that, they're very bland and the hardened corn syrup/butter/sugar combo stick to the teeth. I'm making nuts to give as holiday gifts and this looked like an easy and tasty shortcut, but I won't be making these again...

Tracy said...

Darlene, sorry you didn't care for them. I've always liked them.

Ingrid said...

I love nuts and have been meaning to try caramelizing some.

Thanks for passing along the recipe! I've going to give it a try!
~ingrid

gaga said...

I love that you used the microwave! I'm always looking for shortcuts :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...