Meatball cookies -- getting closer!

Last summer, I wrote a post about wanting to make a cookie that Rochesterians call meatball cookies. They are round cookies, tender but not cakey, and covered with glaze. The local bakeries carry them in vanilla, chocolate and lemon flavors, and my favorite is the lemon. At Christmas time, I made a bunch of cookies to try to approximate them, but I never came close to what I was looking for.

Just as I was about to despair of ever making them, a lovely lady named Jeannie left a recipe on the original post. She said thought this recipe, for Italian Sprinkle Cookies, was what I was looking for. I baked up a batch and they were very close. They could be a tad moister, and I need to figure out the lemon flavor. I used sprinkles because the recipe called for it, but the color of the sprinkles ran in the glaze, so I'd omit them next time (besides, sprinkles are not found in Rochester's meatball cookies). But all in all, they are close, very close! Thanks Jeannie!

Italian Sprinkle Cookies

6 eggs
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups confectioners sugar
2 Tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup shortening, melted
1 Tablespoon almond extract
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract

GLAZE:
1/2 cup warm milk
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 3/4 cups (1 lb) confectioners sugar
colored sprinkles or sugars

Using a stand mixer on high speed, beat eggs until light and foamy, about 5 minutes. Set aside. (I transferred the mixture to another bowl so that I could use the stand mixer bowl for the next step.)

In another mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, and baking powder. Gradually add shortening and extracts until a bead-like texture is formed. Gradually add in beaten eggs (dough will be stiff).

Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes. The tops of the cookies will not brown, but the bottoms should brown slightly.

For glaze, combine milk and extracts in a large bowl. Add sugar and whisk until smooth.

As soon as the cookies are removed from oven, quickly immerse two or three at a time into the glaze. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on wire racks to drain. Quickly top with sprinkles.

Let dry 24 hrs before storing in airtight containers. Makes about 7 dozen.